Re: Alsa 0.9 rc-1-2 with emu10k1 -> noise

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 17:01, Sebastiaan wrote:
> High,
>
> Sorry for the somewhat late reply, but I don't read my mail very well
> anmore :-).
Hi, thanks for the reply anyway, you're the only one. Think the rest of
the world (including me) does a worse job at email than you.

> On 18 May 2002, Jord Swart wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Everything seem to be working perfectly (almost). Somehow as soon as
> > some sound is made, it produces a lot of noise. I have no idea where it
> > comes from or how I can turn it off. I've been playing with the mixer
> > settings but it will not help.
> >
> > Anyone experiences here, or some suggestions?
> >
> Yes. I have the same audiosystem as you (with the same boxes) and it all
> worked pretty well with alsa 0.5. I had tried 0.9 once, but it just did no
> t work right, so I went back to 0.5. About a month ago I tried 0.9 again,
> but I only could get sound out of one speaker and encountered other
> problems, so I went back to the OSS driver, which works fine now. Perhaps
> one day I will give alsa a try again when I use kernel 2.5 (alsa is
> integrated there).

Got it up and running now with 0.9 (!). Took some time and some luck.
With alsamixer defaulting to digital output and therfore only enabling
two speakers. It would have been easier for me if nothing would have
worked at all. Just did a lot of clicking and now I have 5.1 sound
surrounding me :-)))

> > Second question: does anyone know how to turn on my nice cambridge
> > soundworks 5.1 system. At the moment sound only comes from the front two
> > speakers. It would be nice if it used the other three too.
> >
> With alsa, use alsamix. You can also try to set the sound registers
> manually, but I did not succeed this time. I got back to the OSS driver
> and use kmix and got sound out of all four speakers. My center speaker is
> still silent.
Kmix for me, kinda did not do the job well. It only sees half of the
relevant ports and has no control for front/rear audio. I installed
gamix (which is for gnome) from scratch. That kinda does everything you
can do. It also makes it very possible to install some mixer settings
that will not produce any sound at all (especially if you start messing
/ mixing around with the pcm settings. You probably send your sound to
/dev/null or so).

Cheers,

Jord