semi-OT: debian rocks(solid & stable)

With my workstation here at work passing 1 year of uptime
a few days ago I must say that debian is the most solid OS
for either workstation or server that I have used sofar. I'm
sure some of it comes from the hardware I choose and the software
config. but I am still astounded that this machine has been up
for over a year, I hammer on it every weekday, and until about
a week ago it did 20gigs of tape backups over NFS every weekday
too. Checking 'procinfo' for % idle time it has less idle time
then even my most busy servers. I run X in 1600x1200 with afterstep
1.6 on debian woody (upgraded from potato about 6 months ago).
I run Opera & Netscape & VMWare & Staroffice & XMMS virtually 24/7.
as well as usually 2 dozen SSH sessions & 2-3 dozen gnome terminals.

ingredients for my stable workstation:
Intel P3-733Mhz
Asus CUV4X
512MB PC133 ram clocked at 100Mhz
IBM DDYS-T09170N 9.1GB Ultra160 SCSI hard disk
Adaptec 29160N SCSI Controller (connected to hard disk and external
CD-RW)
Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller (connected to 2 tape drives)
Plextor PX-W124TS 12/4/32 CD-R/W (burned about 200 CDs since last reboot)
Quantum DLT4000(external)
Exabyte Mammoth(connected, but never used..)
Matrox G400 16MB OEM Video(AGP) - No DRI/AGP or any of the fancy stuff
enabled. running 1600x1200 @ 16bit
Soundblaster PCI 128 (Asus CUV4X onboard sound disabled in hardware)
3COM 3C905B-TX Network card
Promise ATA/100 IDE controller(PCI)
IBM-DTLA-307045 45GB IDE drive(this drive is **NOT** reccomended)
TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6702B IDE
Generic 300watt power supply(my company wouldn't spring for a good
power supply when i got this system)
Cyberpower AVR900 (500watt UPS)
USR Courier vEVERYTHING external
PS/2 Trackball, PS/2 Keyboard
And perhaps one of the most important parts-- the kernel. 2.2.19
built with at least 1 3rd party patch(ide patch), perhaps others
I forget. everything is statically linked into the kernel, no
modules(other then vmware's 2 modules)

Great work debian team! I am continually amazed at how good debian
is.

Now if my company is around this time next year(damn economy) I will
see if i can make it to 2 years of uptime. I just wish i could
switch out the power supply without rebooting :)

I also work with RS6000s, HP9000s, UltraSparcs, and a couple of
digital alphas(all of them workstation-class). In the past I worked
with SGIs(again, all workstation-class). Out of all the ~15 OSs/Platforms
I have used, debian seems the most solid for workstation-class/low end
server(low end being dual cpu or less with 2GB of ram or less - I have
no experience yet with anything higher end then that).

nate
(debian user since debian 2.0 made it's release, before that, slackware)