Re: Route tables

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 05:44:14PM +0100, Aquarion wrote:
> Where does debian (or anything) read in route tables from? I've
> changed the gateway since I installed debian on this machine, and now
> every time I reboot it (Which isn't very often) I have to manually
> type in the new "route default gw"... command.

Hi Aq'n,

The default gateway is kept in /etc/network/interfaces. For instance, my
work machine has:

iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.100.1.36
        netmask 255.255.0.0
        broadcast 10.100.255.255
        network 10.100.0.0
        gateway 10.100.1.1

If you need to add extra routes, you can add 'up route add' and 'down
route del' lines to that stanza. There are some examples of various
degrees of weirdness in
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz.

Cheers,