Re: ATI Radeon 7000

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:48:30PM +1200, James Kahn wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 14:02, user list wrote:

> > > No, but there is a patch to make it work on 4.1.0.  It didn't apply
> > > cleanly when I ran it against a relatively new version of the debian
> > > sources, but it's pretty small so easy to apply yourself.
> > >
> > Does the patch work for an 8500 as well? I'm having major problems with gnome
> > under the deb's for 4.2.0. Lot's of things don't work anymore.
>
> What is it with people and not reading the links?  Yes, if you look at
> the patch it certainly looks like it makes the 8500 work.  I don't know
> personally, I own a 7500.

Reading with mutt makes me less likely to do the cut and paste. Anyway,
if the link to which you refer is

http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status6.html

That really doesn't help. It does talk about support for Radeon Chips, but
because it is dated it refers to all Radeon chips that existed at that time.

So, what would the patch file look like (i. e. its name, location, and asso-
ciated files)?

Thanks,

Art
> Strange you have problems with gnome, I installed XFree86 4.2.0 (from
> source) in parallel with 4.1.0 and have had no problems whatsoever.
> Sounds like those debs you are using are broken.  X on debian is so
> complicated I'd stick with Branden's...

I think that might be the case. Interestingly there is what appears to
be a signature with Branden's name on it.