Re: Loadlin invalid compressed format / bzImage

DSC Siltec wrote:

Okay, I've been googling, and doublechecking my errors, and I have a
different question.

First the generalities:

Debian Woody, rebuilding kernel.  I use loadlin.
I rebuilt the kernel, copied /vmlinuz-2.4.18 to the dos directory
"vmlinuz"
and rebooted -- got

"Uncompressing Linux \ Invalid compressed format (err = 1) \ -- system
halted."

Nice message and all [BTW... I got back in with an *old kernel* boot.]

So googling around, I found that others cannot use vmlinuz with loadlin
either.  It seems vmlinuz is not a bzImage.  So I have a few questions
here. Answers to any would be helpful.

(1) How do I make bzImage?  is there a flag to set with dpkg?  Or should
that be at a different stage?  Or do I have to do everything by hand
[and if so, how]?
(2) Is there a way to set Loadlin to handle vmLinuz?

Thanks,
 Mike

[p.s.  If replying, please note the followup.]

Ahh, a clue clicks in. You're using "make-kpkg" to create this kernel, aren't you, which is, of course, "The Debian Way". However, you're not using LILO/Grub to boot off the hard disk, so in essence, you've truncated "The Debian Way" a bit. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it introduces some unknowns (at least, unknown to me, as I've never mixed the two methods (make-kpkg & using loadlin) before).

According to "man make-kpkg" (search using "/" for "bz"), the bzImage format is the default format for kernels created with this utility. Therefore, that's not your problem.

I'm wondering if whatever method you're using to copy the file is somehow corrupting the file. Are you mounting the DOS partition from within Debian, and then using the "cp" command to copy it to that mount? Or are you using some other method? Give us the exact steps you're using. In fact, it might be good if you gave us the exact steps you're using to compile the kernel.

Kent