Re: OpenOffice.org and gcc conflicts

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 08:00:29PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 04:45:44PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > gcc-3.0 and gcc-2.95 coexist happily.
>
> But libstlport4.5 and libstlport4.5gcc3 don't. :(

That's right :(

Thankfully, libstlport4.5 is only used by libboost-*, although I'm still
surprised that no-one has complained about it yet.

This is one of the TODO items that must be solved before we upload
openoffice.org anywhere other than experimental.

I'm sort of hoping that a solution to this general problem (shared libraries
compiled with different compiler ABI versions are incompatible) may be
worked out as part of a GCC2.9x->GCC3.1 transition in Debian.  Otherwise
we'll have to hack the openoffice source around to use a different library
name I guess.

Chris
--
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany