Re: Getting UML to boot

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 04:57:10PM -0400, Seneca wrote:
| I am trying to get UML from unstable to work on my system, but the
| kernel always panics during boot. I managed to get past the first panic
| by setting "root=/home/seneca" or "root=/tmp", but now I get:
|
|    Warning: unable to open an initial console
|    Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
|
| I have tried passing different init values to the kernel, but each time,
| I get the same panic of "No init found", or the kernel freezes.

Your "root=" parameter is wrong, which is why /sbin/init can't be
found.

| unable to open /tmp for validation
| cramfs: wrong magic
| read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 62:00, block 16, size 4096)
| read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 62:00, block 2, size 4096)

Here's where it's telling you it had problems mounting the root
filesystem (because the root= parameter is wrong).

| VFS: Mounted root (root-hostfs filesystem) readonly.

| Warning: unable to open an initial console.
| Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

And this is the result of it.

I had that same error message on a new machine a while back.  The
problem was a typo in my bootloader config.  "boot=" doesn't not mean
"root=" :-).

The root= parameter must refer to the device file that refers to the
partition on disk where your root filesystem is located.

HTH,
-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,