Re: Serious "Bug" in most major Linux distros.

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:26:16PM -0700, dman wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 05:28:13PM -0700, Petro wrote:
> working
> | > A deb is an ar archive that contains two gzipped tarballs.  Thus you
> | > first need ar to extract the tarballs, then gunzip to decompress
> them,
> | > and then finally tar and cp to do the rest.
> |
> |     Yes, and with cp and tar I can either get a file from somewhere
> |     else, or copy some files to a location where they will survive a
> |     reinstall.
> Oh, you're looking to salvage something from the wreckage before
> scrapping it.  The comment above was about pulling files out of a .deb

    Yes. Or just figuring out if there is even a wreck, how it happened
    etc.

> with the intent of restoring the "wreckage" rather than scrapping it.
> Reread the quoted text from Karl.

    I know what he is saying, and he's right in a limited way. If your
    entire ability to administer a system envolves unpacking .debs and
    answering the configure questions they ask, a static shell is
    pointless.

    I'm not in that position.

> | > work...
> | > Building tweaked binary packages from the source package is really
> | > easy, as long as your tweaks are major rewrites of the app or
> | > something.
> |     No, I meant it doesn't sound like a lot of work.
> I didn't get that the first time.

    Yeah, sometimes I'm a little too terse. Less isn't always more.

--
My last cigarette was roughly 31 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes ago.
YHBW