Bilingual Debian: English & Russian

I am looking for a mentor to help me configure my Debian installation.

My native tongue is English, and I am studying Russian.  I want to be able
to work with the Russian alphabet on my English-localized Computer.
Specifically, I want to be able to create documents in Russian script in a
word processor (Abiword, probably) and to be able to send and receive e-mail
in Russian (I have no strong preference regarding e-mail clients, but would
prefer to use a graphical application).  If I can get a Russian spell
checker working, that would be icing on the cake.

I understand that KOI-8R is the preferred encoding method for my purposes.
I understand that I have to download and install KOI-8R-encoded fonts and
keyboard mapping, and a utility for setting the keyboard map.  I have
identified and installed the following Debian packages:

xruskb - An X localized keyboard switch and autolock.
xfonts-cyrillic - Cyrillic fonts for X
xxkb - Keyboard state indicator and switcher for xkb.
console-cyrillic - Better cyrillic support for Linux console.
language-env - simple configuration tool for native language environment.

I am a Linux USER, not a geek.  This is a personal project and has nothing
to do with my *daytime* job. I have been using Debian for a month, and am
now reasonably familiar with the Debian package management programs.  All
that I seek is a little e-mail guidance in configuring and learning to use
these packages.  If all goes well, this project should take no more than two
or three evenings.  Above all, all help is GRATEFULLY and GRACIOUSLY
appreciated.

Harold Crouch <harold@cmh.net>