Re: serving the web without a web server

On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:05:18 +0100
"Keith Robinson" <kar@foomonster.co.uk> wrote:

> I have something bizarre happening: I serve some web sites, including
> http://www.dynamiccompany.co.uk and even though I've stopped apache
> (apachectl stop), I can still ping the web site:

Apache has nothing to do with whether a system responds to a ping.  If the
network interface is up, properly configured, has a valid IP and no
filters it will respond to ping requests.

(snip)

> So, I do a traceroute (from a remote box):

Same holds true for traceroute.

(snip)

> So, are ntl or newnet (where the box is located) caching (aggressively)

Most likely not the case.

(snip)

> Any thoughts?  I'm a bit stumped.

Might want to take a look at the Networking HOWTO.

--
Jamin W. Collins