Re: Passing io/eth params to 8319too driver

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:13:04PM -0500, Donald R. Spoon wrote:

| 1.  All RealTek 8139 cards that I know about are PCI cards.  If yours is
| NOT a PCI card (ISA??) then I would re-check the chipset number and make
| absolutely sure that it is the correct one.

I've got a rtl8139 PCMCIA card (made by D-Link).  The 8139too driver
works fine with it.

| 2.  You have very little control over passing IO/IRQ arguments to PCI
| cards. The IO/IRQ is set by your BIOS and the IRQ assignments are
| entirely dependent on the particular PCI slot the card is using.

I think you made a little mistake here.  I agree that the IO is based
on which slot the card uses, but the IRQ can be assigned by the OS.  I
know this because, with my 2 tulip cards, I specify the IO and IRQ to
the driver so that each card uses a separate IRQ.

| There is not any requirement to pass these arguments to the driver
| module on PCI cards in Linux as linux will take care of this
| automatically for PCI cards.  The fact that you ARE trying to pass
| IO/IRQ values to the kernel might be messing it up!  I would
| recommend you stop trying to pass specific IO/IRQ values to the
| module and let the kernel do its thing.

Agreed, unless you specifically want to make the second NIC use a
different IRQ.  In that case, my recommendation is to see what IO
assignments the BIOS/kernel gave to the NICs and use that solely for
identifying which nic gets which IRQ.  Another option is to use
different cards so that different drivers are used and you don't need
to specify the IO to identify it.

| 3.  There are now several different models of the 8139 chipset.  The "a"
| and "b" series work quite well with the rtl8139.o and 8139too.o modules
| in the 2.2.xx series kernel, as well as with the 8139too.o module in the
|  2.4.xx kernels.  The newer "c" models has some problems with these
| particular drivers for some people.

FYI that PCMCIA card I mentioned above is Rev C.

kernel: 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.24
kernel: eth0: D-Link DFE-690TXD (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xd0c7d000, 00:50:ba:61:71:b0, IRQ 11
kernel: eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'

HTH,
-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.