sensors problem

Recently, my sensors module seems to be failing.  I see this in the
log:
May 20 09:25:49 wheat kernel: i2c-amd756.o: SMBus collision!
May 20 09:25:50 wheat kernel: i2c-amd756.o: Busy wait timeout! (0800)
May 20 09:26:00 wheat last message repeated 10 times

I have a 2.4.18 kernel, built locally, with lm-sensors.  I use the i2c
in the kernel, rather than the separate package.

This is an oddly erratic error.  The sensors were working this morning
when I started the system, for example, and then failed about 1.5
hours later.  This has happened before.  In one case they failed; I
rebooted and checked the sensors on the BIOS setup screen (they were
fine); senors still didn't work in Linux; power down; restart and they
worked in Linux.

This problem only developed recently, although I've been running the
2.4.18 kernel for awhile.

Any ideas?