font troubles in sid

Hi,

A while ago, after doing an upgrade, I noticed that fonts in galeon
where displaying as rectangles. I managed to fix this through trial and
error in the galeon preferences, and life went on, though I did notice that
the same rectangles were being used to display the xmms playlist. I decided to
ignore this as it wasn't seriously affecting my daily work.

However, I just fired up the gimp, and noticed the same font problem with
all the menus and dialog boxes, rendering the gimp pretty much unusable.
Googling around, I found the "TrueType Fonts in Debian mini-HOWTO" and followed
the instructions there to set my XF86Config to use xfs. (adding "unix/:7100" to
the FontPath and restarting xfs). Still no menus in gimp.

I'm running sid, and a modified XF86_Mach64 server that I've been lugging
around with me due to a bug in the default server that draws a line down the
middle of screen on my Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop, (if any of that is relevant,
I don't know).

Any help or pointers to more docs would be greatly appreciated,

James