Re: urgent! where to install .h files

On 20-May-2002 Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Hi Sean
>
> On 18/05/02, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry (shalehperry@attbi.com) wrote:
>> On 18-May-2002 Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
>> > I'm trying to install a perl module called Gnokii, which requires one
>> > first to compile the gnokii program.
>
>> Note, gnokii is packaged in Debian (at least under unstable) so you
>> could also either grab the package or simply grab the package source
>> and make your own version.
>
> How do I grab the package source?
>
> Thanks for the info, particularly about where to install one's own
> compiled apps.

1.
  a) apt-get source package (just like install) will grab a package's source.
     but you must have a src entry in your sources.list

     deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main

     is in mine.

  b) go to a debian mirror, look in debian/pool/main/g/gnokii/.  There is a
     tar.gz, a .dsc and a .diff.gz.  Grab all three, *NOT* via netscape.
     Netscape will attempt to decompress them and dpkg will not want them.

     Once you have all three do: dpkg-source -x foo.dsc.  This will untar the
     package and apply the diff.

2.
Now that you have the source unpacked you can compile and install it like
before or make your own deb with dpkg-buildpackage.