Re: Recommended tape backup software

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 10:26:26AM -0500, Michael Madden wrote:
> Which tape backup software is considered the best?  I not really
> considering commericial products, but I'd like to stick to one of the
> following: dump, tar, cpio, pax
>
> I will be backing up ext2 and ext3 filesystems to a DDS4 tape drive
> on the local machine.  Is any of the prementioned backup utilities
> considered superior?

I heard very convincing argument for afio by Manoj.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s8.3
  8.3.6 afio

   Afio is a better way of dealing with cpio-format archives. It is generally
   faster than cpio, provides more diverse magnetic tape options and deals
   somewhat gracefully with input data corruption. It deals somewhat
   gracefully with input data corruption. Supports multi-volume archives
   during interactive operation. Afio can make compressed archives that are
   much safer than compressed tar or cpio archives. Afio is best used as an
   `archive engine' in a backup script.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.