Fetchmail

Hi,

I am newish and have just installed Woody onto two machines at home and I am having a few mail hic-cups. I noticed that there was a global fetchmail facility which I read up on and duly got working. I used to use fetchmail as a user and set a cron job to down load the mail every 10 min, but the global fetchmail options takes care of its own scheduling. What I want to know is, how often does it download mail, and how can I change this time gap? I don't desperately want to change it as it is working fine, I just want to know how it works.

Secondly I use one of two machines at any one time and they are setup is the same. I have found that exporting /var/mail from the machine that runs fetchmail enables me to have my mail from which ever machine I book on to. What I want to know is, is this the right way to do it? What is considered the correct/safest/"best" way to share mail for users across a number of machines?

Keith