urgent! where to install .h files

I'm trying to install a perl module called Gnokii, which requires one
first to compile the gnokii program.

I can compile gnokii ok. However, when I try to make the Gnokii module,
I get the following error:
	GSM.xs:17: gsm-common.h: No such file or directory
	GSM.xs:18: gsm-api.h: No such file or directory

I presently have those files in
	/tmp/gnokii-0.3.5/include/gsm-common.h
	/tmp/gnokii-0.3.5/include/gsm-api.h

Should I put these include files somewhere in a central location on
compile?

The configure --help script for gnokii gives me an option for
--include-dir, but none of the files are put in /usr/include although I
have specified it.

Thanks for any help.
Rory

--