Re: potato or woody or testing or arrgghghg

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:57:22AM +0930, Tom Cook wrote:
> Eventually (in fact it may have already happened, I can't remember)
> woody will be frozen, outstanding bugs will be fixed as well as may be
> and then woody will become the stable distribution.

Woody is almost completely frozen, nothing is getting in aside from
security fixes and bugs that make it uninstallable (like the looping
base-config bug that seems to pop every day or two on this list).  It
was supposed to be released (become the new 'stable') on May 1, but
there was some security update infrastructure problem that has held it
up for the last couple of weeks.

> Sid is the unstable distribution, and always is.  When woody is
> released as stable, then all the packages in sid are migrated into the
> new testing distribution, which will have a new and different name.

Ummmm, I don't think this is quite correct; at the moment woody is
released, stable and testing will exactly the same.  Packages will
immediately star trickling in from sid again, using the same rules
that were used for woody.

btw, Sarge seems to be the de facto release name for woody+1; aj made
some comment about it, and everybody assumed it was decided, so it
looks like it won by popularity.

-rob