Why alt key in xemacs does not work

I have just installed debian/woody and xemacs21. I encountered two problems: 1. when I apt-get install xemacs21, it says post install configuration error. I find the problem is that when create a symbolic link at /usr/man/man1/....., there is not /usr/man/man1 directory, so it failed. When I add the folder, it succeeded.

2. When I using Xemacs, the Alt key is not functioned as a meta key just as in other linux distributions. Instead, the meta key is the windows key (I am using a standard US layout 104 keyboard). But in other applications (for example, emacs), it functions correctly. How can I fix this problem?