Erratic mouse in tty

I am trying to get my mouse to work in both X and the ttys. Originally the
mouse worked fine in the ttys, and in X it would move about erratically,
and click randomly. I fixed this by changing the Device to /dev/gpmdata,
and changing gpm's repeat type to raw. (As I understand it, this causes
gpm to keep the mouse data in it's original form, instead of converting it
to the MicroSoft format, allowing it to be read by X in it's regular
form). Unfortunately now the mouse is erratic, and clicks randomly in the
ttys. I did not notice this change immediately, and believe it did not
start until after I rebooted, though I'm not 100% certain. This problem
happens regardless of whether X is running, or has been run. Is there
anyway I can have my mouse in both X and the ttys?

Thanks,
Rob Mosher

Here are the relevant sections from my config files.

#/etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "Pointer"
        Device          "/dev/gpmdata"
        Protocol        "IMPS/2"