Re: frustration with dselect automatic package selection

On 2002.05.14 14:32 David Roundy wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:53:53AM -0400, Federico Grau wrote:

> When I install a system (especially servers), I tend to choose the
> task-sel path and unselect everything, with the goal of getting the
most
> minimal installation as possible.  Then as I need packages I will
apt-get
> them as needing them.
>
> I occasionally use dselect because it has some niceties which
apt-get
> does not have... however the firt time I run it, it has the "default
> package selection" already set to install?!  Is there a way to tell
> dselect to ignore the default package selection other than paging up
and
> down and unselecting every item?

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but my recommendation
would
be to try aptitude.  It's much easier to use (at least for me) than
dselect, and doesn't always want to install suggested packages (unless
you
tell it to).

If you're running Gnome, there's also a nice graphical interface (apt-gnome, I believe)

HTH,
Ian