Re: Fw: Nvi saved the file compi

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:12:37PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> What the hell should I do to delete this annoying message, relentlessly
> sent to my mailbox?
>
> Vittorio
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Nvi recovery program <root@dada.it> -----
>
> From: root@dada.it (Nvi recovery program)
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:04:57 +0000
> To: root@dada.it
> Subject: Nvi saved the file compi
>
> On Wed May  8 17:18:28 2002, the user root was editing a
> file named compi on the machine woody, when it was saved for
> recovery. You can recover most, if not all, of the changes
> to this file using the -r option to vi:
>
> 	vi -r compi
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

There is more than one way:

1)  workaround: Stop rebooting that often. It's Linux. It is not
    necessary to reboot.

2)  The proper way: as root, run the command:
    # vi -r compi
    and exit, without saving

3)  The hacker's way:
    # rm /var/tmp/vi.recover/*

4)  The I-dont-care-anymore way:
    # dpkg --purge nvi

5)  The I-dont-care-anymore-I-think way:
    # mv /etc/init.d/nvi /etc/init.d/nvi-GOOMF

Your choice :-)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com