Re: building deb-src packages

On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 16:08, Simon Law wrote:
> On 13 May 2002, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > Help!  I need a Manual to Fscking Read!
> >
> > I've downloaded the mozilla source package, but am unsure
> > of what to do next.
> > Do I do this:
> >    dpkg-deb --build /etc/apt/mozilla-1+rc1
> > or
> >    cd /etc/apt/mozilla-1+rc1 && dpkg-buildpackage -ai686
> >
> > Or something totally different?
>
> 	Make sure you have the correct deb-src lines in your
> /etc/apt/sources.list.  Then, do a:
>
> bash$ apt-get build-dep mozilla-browser
> bash$ apt-get --build source mozilla-browser

This worked perfectly, after installing build-essential.

Now, how do I optimize for a specific architecture, like i586?
"man dpkg-buildpackage" refers to the Arch standard variable,
but doesn't mention how to set it.  Can it be used along with
"apt-get --build source", since "man apt-get" says "If the
--compile  options  is specified then the package will be
compiled to a binary .deb using dpkg-buildpackage".

TIA,
Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."           |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live |