Re: potential new Debian user

On Mon, 13 May 2002 15:24:34 -0700
"Andrey Vlassov" <andreyv@ece.ubc.ca> wrote:

> I am in one boat with you - new to Debian. I was trying install X11 by
> hand and endup installing it through "tasksel". If you will select to
> install "Desktop System" it will install KDE and GNOME for you and bunch
> of another KDE and GNOME applications. In short it was as avalanche -

Don't know if this was suggested or tried before, but I normally install X
on my Woody system via the following:

apt-get install x-window-system

Then (or even in the same command) I install my window manager of choice
(blackbox)

apt-get install blackbox

Then I'm left with a perfectly functional X Window install with my window
manager of choice and no extra Gnome or KDE stuff that I don't want.

--
Jamin W. Collins