Re: potential new Debian user

> Since, I will be using it almost exclusively as a desktop, I'm most
> concerned about access to current builds of my favorite packages like KDE3,
> OpenOffice 1.0 & Mozilla 1.0RC2.  Of course, OO and Mozilla have pretty good
> installers that come with them.  I'm happy with those and could use their
> install programs.  So, I guess I'm mostly concerned about KDE3.  Another
> concern is how difficult Debian might be to install as a dual boot.  Does
> Debian use the traditional partition naming scheme?  Frankly, even though
> I've had a considerable amount of experience switching Linux distros and
> setting them up to dual boot, setting up FreeBSD to dual boot would make me
> sweat.

Debian cares not what your partition setup is and quite a few of our users dual
boot to other OSs.

> One of the drawbacks that I've heard that about Debian's (even from a Debian
> advocate) is that their packages are rather out of date.  Is that true, even
> if I choose to install Woody?  Just to get a feel for the packages, I
> browsed through the packages looking for KDE3.  I found a long list of KDE3
> files.  Would I have to install all of those KDE3 apps individually?  Or, is
> it as simple as something like apt-get KDE3?

"out of date" meaning "not released yesterday".  We are currently without KDE
v3 (the files in there are KDE v2).  The maintainer is trying to not deal with
KDe v3 until woody is shipped.

We have the latest mozilla rc in unstable last I checked.  Can not comment on
OpenOffice.

Sometimes our packages lag behind the bleeding edge.  What we do have works and
works well.