Re: Getting a stable LVM for woody

--- Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 03:07:34AM -0700, Alexander Konovalenko
> wrote:
> > I would like to install a more-or-less production quality
> > version of LVM with woody on i386.
> I was thinking in the same line :)
> > Sistina.com says that the latest stable release of LVM is
> > 1.0.4, while both 1.1-rc2 and LVM2 are beta versions.
> So you are looking at lvm10
>
> > Was version 1.0.4 packaged for Debian by the lvm maintainer?
> > (Robert (rvdm), are you that maintainer?)
>
> Look at changelog.debian in /usr/share/doc/lvm10.  It was tracking
> 1.0.1 up to 1.0.1release-1 then startied to track 1.1. Latest entry
> say:
>
> lvm10 (1.1rc1-2) unstable; urgency=high
>
>   * Fixed lvmsadc lock bug (Closes: #139169)
>   * Fixed lvm name check bug (Closes: #140957)
>   * lvm is been working fine with debian kernels a while now (Closes:
> #122753)
>
>  -- Robert van der Meulen <rvdm@debian.org>  Mon, 29 Apr 2002
> 12:14:20 +0200
>
> Considering woody is freeze mode after around May1, this is very new.
>
> As usual, he is not blindly following upstream but keep applying
> local patch.  It is second build (1.1rc1-2) With last statement it
> sounds good to me.

So, if I understand you correctly, your message is that 1.1rc1-2
is stable enough.  After reading the changlelog (I should've done
that before) and looking at the list of bugs I tend to agree with
you.  There are some bugs that need to be fixed but no one is
fatal nor breaks essential behavior of LVM.  Let's see how it will
work in reality.

> > Is there a place from where the (source) package(s), preferably
> > official, can be fetched?
>
> $ apt-get source lvm10
> $ mc
> # apt-get -d install lvm10 # provided you set up deb-src on
> sources.list
> # cd /var/cache/apt/archives; mc

I meant the source packages for LVM version 1.0.4, but never mind.

> If you did not know these basics, read "Debian reference" available
> on debian server:
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
>
> > Cc: rvdm at debian org
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
> > http://launch.yahoo.com
> Of you want to get response from maintainer, use real address.
> If you use these free mail account, you may be filtered as possible
> spam.  Sad but ...

Of course you're right but in the meantime I don't have any good
address.

Regards,
  Alexander.