Re: Plans for upgrading to woody & ditching HD

On Mon, 13 May 2002 09:48:49 -0400 (EDT)
"Andrew Perrin" <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:

> Greetings-
>
> I have a machine currently running potato. It has four IDE drives in
> it. /dev/hda does nothing important; it's an old (probably 1993 or
> 1994) 1.2G whose sole role in life at this point is to have an MBR with
> LILO to boot DOS, NT, or (99% of the time) Debian.
>
> That drive is quickly dying, and when it dies it brings down the IDE bus
> and therefore the system. So I need to get rid of it. I'd like to
> upgrade to woody at the same time.  Here's my plan; any comments or
> advice are welcome.
>
> 1.) Back up /etc to somewhere safe
> 2.) Edit /etc/fstab:
>   change all references to /dev/hdb* to /dev/hda*
>   remove references to (unused) filesystems on what is now /dev/hda
>   change references to /dev/hdc* to /dev/hdb*
>   change references to /dev/hdd* to /dev/hdc*

I understand the changing of hdb* to hda* however there's little need to
move hdc and hdd around.  Personally, I'd leave them where they are.
Fewer changes and all.

> 3.) Edit /etc/lilo.conf to point linux to /dev/hda instead of /dev/hdb
> 4.) Write /etc/lilo.conf to the MBR of the current /dev/hdb (about to
> become /dev/hda). THIS IS THE STEP I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO.

You can skip these steps by using a boot disk.  You might need to pass a
kernel parameter during boot up to provide the location of your root
filesystem, but once booted, you can simply have lilo write the MBR
normally.

> 5.) Power down
> 6.) Remove current /dev/hda
> 7.) Rejumper current /dev/hdb as master
> 8.) Power back up

You make no meantion of rejumpering or moving the drives on the second
controller.  If you don't plan on moving them (doesn't sound like it)
don't change the references for hdc and hdd in the fstab.

> ---At this point I *hope* to have the old system (potato) up and running
> without the dead disk.---

That you should.

> 9.) edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to testing instead of stable
> (should I use woody instead of testing?)

I believe part of this boils down to a matter of opinion.  Personally I
use "testing" in my sources.list.

> 10.) apt-get update
> 11.) apt-get install apt apt-utils
> 12.) apt-get dist-upgrade