Kernel Compiling [HELP!]

 Ok, here I go again!

I am trying to compile a kernel with FreeS/WAN.

Here are the procedures I have followed, but after completing them on the reboot my computer starts the loading process and then reboots over and over, ad nauseam.

I downloaded FreeSWAN source and kernel-source-2.4.18

addgroup [username] src
su [username]
cd /usr/src tar -xf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar ln -s kernel-source-2.4.18 linux
export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
cd linux
su root
make-kpkg -config=menuconfig kernel-image
#(at this point I check to make sure IPSEC/FreeSWAN is included under Networking options)
cd /lib/modules
mv 2.4.18 2.4.18-old
cd /usr/src
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18.xxxx.deb

I have done this now four times, but the same results. I have even downloaded the kernel-source again, just in case something was wrong with it.

Curtis