Unstable becoming outdated

Those of us who use unstable to keep up with the latest packages are being
impacted by the woody release delay. Because sid filters into woody,
packages considered core to woody are not being updated, even in sid,
except to fix RC bugs. This will continue until woody is released, which
is looking like it could still take quite a while.

This is occuring for XFree86-4.2, and I also know that the OpenLDAP
packager is waiting for the freeze to end in order to introduce encryption
into those packages. I'm sure the freeze is affecting many other packages
as well.

Other software development projects us a "branch for release and continue
development on the trunk" system to ensure that release delays don't
hinder continuing development. Persumably Debian has considered this and
decided it does not have the personal or hardware resources for such a
system.

What we could do, though, is to declare that packages with 0 RC bugs can
continue development in unstable, and these packages will not be picked up
by testing until after the woody release. Can anyone think of objections
to such a policy?