Debian Verification?

One of the coolest things on RPM is the --verify switch.  For example, I
can check to see if a package's contents have changed.  For example, if I
run:

rpm --verify setup

I get the following output:

S.5....T c /etc/hosts.allow
S.5....T c /etc/hosts.deny
S.5....T c /etc/printcap
S.5....T c /etc/profile
SM5....T c /etc/securetty
S.5....T c /etc/services
S.5....T c /etc/shells
.M......   /var/log/lastlog

The key for the above output is:

       5      MD5 sum
       S      File size
       L      Symlink
       T      Mtime
       U      User
       G      Group
       M      Mode (includes permissions and file type)

>From the output, I can deduct that a number of files have changed,
including hosts.allow, hosts.deny, etc.  It is handy for checking if stuff
like top and ps ahve changed after a hack.

Is this possible in dpkg?  Can I "verify" debs?  I looked through the man
pages and havent seen anything interesting.

--
Arthur H. Johnson II
Catechist, St John Catholic Church, Davison MI USA

IRC:  By-Tor@irc.windowmaker.org,#windowmaker
IRC:  By-Tor@irc.debian.org,#debian
YIM:  arthurjohnson
AIM:  bytor4232