Re: Mutliple IP addresses on single interface

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:38:22PM -0400, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.4
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         broadcast 192.168.0.255
>         gateway 192.168.0.2
>
> iface eth0:0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.5
>         netmask	255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
> 	broadcast 192.168.0.255
> 	gateway	192.168.0.2
>
> But the interface will not up with the 2nd IP at reboot. Any
> suggestions? I can always add the ifconfig line to a script I guess...

I have a machine here that works fine with two IP addresses. The
/etc/network/interfaces file is the same as yours. but for two
differences:

There's no 'auto eth0'

There's no gateway line for eth0:0

The machine is running potato, and the card is an eepro100. If it still
doesn't work, do you get any helpful messages when the network starts?

S.