Re: High quality audio card

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 17:08, alberto wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> How about a high quality audio card supported under Linux?
>  (so as I can backup my precious vynil records collection...!)
>
> Any Hi-Fi geek that knows about it and can recommend one or at least the
> characteristics to look for?

As a corrolary, how about a high quality 2-speaker audio card?
I just don't have the space for a woofer.  (I don't see where
CL sells the SB Live! and Value anymore.  The lowest on the
scale are the "16 PCI" and the "PCI 512".  With the PCI 512,
how much would I lose by playing MP3s and watching movies in
2-channel mode?

Also, the computer is ~10 feet from the KB & monitor.  Can I
find an "extension cord" at, for ex., Radio Shack?  Or will the
distance degrade the sound?

Thanks
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |