Kernel compile

So, I'm still at a loss.

I built the kernel for FreeS/WAN using make-kpkg. Everything in that regard seem to go fine, as well as the dpkg -install. Now, I didn't add anything to my kernel. I left it just the way it was, so maybe there was something I should have included,
but what?

My lilo.conf reads pretty much like the one Paul sent, except, initrd=/initrd.img is almost at the beginning of the file
prior to the default=Linux line. Perhaps I should move it?

Curtis

    > Ok, after trying to compile the kernel now several different ways, I
    > still can't boot up afterwards. That is, on boot up while it's doing
    > the, what is it LILO 2.22................ something like that, it
   gets
    > started and then starts over, and over, and over, and.....
    >
    > So, I noticed that my initrd.img is pointed to
    > /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-386, whereas the custom kernel is 2.4.18.
   Note
    > that 2.4.18-386 is the previous kernel, which I can boot into.
   So, I'm
    > thinking there should probably be a custom initrd.img for my custom
    > kernel, no?

   Depends on how you built your kernel. If you built all the nessary
   stuff to boot into the kernel, you do not need an initrd.img. In
   which case, you would remove reference to it from your /etc/lilo.conf
   file (in the section that references your new kernel), and rerun lilo.

   Sounds like you are looking at the new kernel after booting on the
   old initrd.img. Actually, you can reference both in lilo.conf and
   boot from either. See man lilo.conf. Also man mkinitrd. There is
   also good information in /usr/share/doc/mkinitrd as i recall.

   Something like this:

   ## portion of lilo.conf

   default=Linux

   image=/vmlinuz
   label=Linux
   read-only

   image=/vmlinuz.old
   label=LinuxOLD
   initrd=/initrd.img
   read-only
   optional

   ## end of lilo.conf

   Make sure image & initrd point to the required file locations, or
   symlinks to the required locations.

   Paul