Re: PS2 mouse in X

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:05:17AM +0100, Daniel Rowell Faulkner wrote:
| I've just installed woody for my brother,
|
| I'm using the software that comes with woody only at this moment in time.
| (Though an older kernel is still used as I've not found the time to
| put a decent one on, as I installed potato then upgraded)

apt-get works on kernels too (almost seamlessly, just double-check
the boot loader's config)

| The computer has an old mouse attached to it for now, it is attached
| to a PS2 port.  GPM works happily with the mouse and has had no
| problems what so ever.

| In X however I the mouse tends to freeze

| I had some trouble getting it to work initally as if the mouse is
| setup in X on /dev/mouse the mouse wouldn't work at all so it is
| setup as /dev/psaux instead which appears to work except for this
| random freezing.

I bet the problem is gpm and X are fighting over the device.  When two
apps read from the same device file, it is a race to see who gets
which bytes of data from it.  Have gpm repeat 'raw' and tell X to read
from /dev/gpmdata (a unix domain socket).  From my config files :

== /etc/gpm.conf

repeat_type=raw
type=imps2

# I'm using kernel 2.4 with devfs,
# use /dev/psaux on your brother's machine
device=/dev/input/mice

== /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Logitech MouseMan Wheel"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
        # Note: Protocol must match the 'type' set to gpm
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
EndSection

HTH,
-D

PS. it's not that hard to get right, but many people have lots of
    difficulty with it; you're not alone in that!

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.