Wonky displays with galeon and other apps.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a poorly configured video card (highly
probable) or if the problems that I'm having are actually bugs in the apps
(running sid, so also highly probable).

The two biggest offenders are Galeon/Mozilla and AcrobatReader (I know I
should be using xpdf instead, but the last time I used it was about 3 years
ago and it was pretty much crap back then).  These two apps will do two
different things to hose my screen.

Galeon/Mozilla (I think Konqeror does the same thing.. yep) will keep on
drawing some of its edge widgets until it decides to quit, so I end up with
this patchwork pattern on my display that looks like the silver gradient on
the edges of a mozilla/galeon window.  Most of the time the problem is fixed
when I move a new window over the affected portion of the display, forcing a
redraw of that piece.  Sometimes not, though.

Acroread will kind of do the same thing, but this time it draws a bunch of
little "black holes" all over my display.  These are not removable by moving a
new window over the affected area.  The only way I can get rid of these is by
stopping my session and logging back in.

My video card is an ATI Radeon 7200.  I know that I don't have DRI correctly
configured because 'glxinfo' says that direct rendering is off.

Can anybody tell me, should I just fix my video card (right now, just a 'to
do' list item), or are these software bugs.  Checking the bug reports on these
apps doesn't turn up anything very similar.

Thanks.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   ||  NO ATTACHMENTS
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL       ||  NO STATIONERY
 / \  AND POSTINGS            ||  NO GRAPHICS