Re: Two users writing to the same file at the same time.

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 01:55, AE Roy wrote:
> I've set up my system with 15 computers and 60 users so that they have a
> directory where they all can share files, under /home/staff, I have
> them belongign to the group teacher who is the owner of /home/staff, and
> the GUID is set on /home/staff.
>
> And I have a problem; If two teachers deceides to work on the same file at
> the same time, then all changes made by the first to exit will be lost,
> without him noticing.
>
> This situation happens rarly, and when it does they don't know who's to
> blame (me) and so I've manged to overcome the problem, but I need to solve
> this.
>
> I know CVS, but thats not an option. People I've talked to that know MS
> say that in MS under the same situation, you'd gett a warning when someone
> already had that file open, does anything similar exist for linux?
> They all use OpenOffice.org to write these files.

I'd imagine that OpenOffice has some sort of mechanism built in to
handle these sorts of situations (I don't use OpenOffice myself), but in
case it doesn't, I'd suggest looking at "lockfile". You'd have to handle
the opening and closing of the files through a script for this to be
effective however.

-Alex