Re: Nvidia, Debian's Woody, kernel 2.4.18, and xfree86

On Sat, 4 May 2002 14:01:58 -0700
"Jaye Inabnit ke6sls" <ke6sls@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm considering Nvidia as a replacement.  I realize that nv's are only
> driven by either x3.3.6 or x4.2 (according to the official xfree86.org
> website).  I know that my up-to-date Woody box only sports x4.1.
>
> Please recommend a card I should consider from the list below to replace
> the voodoo3, that will be supported by 2.4.18 kernel and Woody's x4.1?
> Should I even consider Nvidia in light of another vendor's card that is
> in $100 (U.S.) range?

There are (as you noted) several GeForce2 version cards available for well
under $100.  The nVidia drivers will work with x4.1 (running them on all 6
of my X workstations here).

> Finally, is there a comprehensive guide to actually getting an nv card
> running and able to play games like tuxracer (without being root) by a
> hippie that doesn't grok (Greek) geek speak for Woody?  This process of
> deciphering man pages, docs from google searches, and queries from
> anyone likely to have any clue of linux and xfree86 has been, at the
> very least, daunting.  DRI, GL, openGL, Mesa--growl.

The instructions supplied by nVidia for editing your XF86Config file are
quite straight forward.  If you run into difficulty, I'm certain that
someone here can (and most likely will) lend a helping hand.

--
Jamin W. Collins