Re: move/rename in cvs

dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> There must be a better way; what is it?

Ah, fool you.  No, there really isn't a better way, which is a big
reason subversion <http://subversion.tigris.org> is being developed.

> Also, is there a way to create new projects other than
> 'mkdir $CVSROOT/new_proj'?  I can't checkout a project until it
> exists, and I can't add a directory unless I have a local sandbox
> (which is created by a checkout).

>From the manual:

Creating a directory tree from scratch
--------------------------------------

   For a new project, the easiest thing to do is probably to create an
empty directory structure, like this:

     $ mkdir tc
     $ mkdir tc/man
     $ mkdir tc/testing

   After that, you use the `import' command to create the corresponding
(empty) directory structure inside the repository:

     $ cd tc
     $ cvs import -m "Created directory structure" yoyodyne/DIR yoyo start

   Then, use `add' to add files (and new directories) as they appear.

   Check that the permissions CVS sets on the directories inside
`$CVSROOT' are reasonable.

We hope this clears up the many questions we've had about it.