Re: Building 'internal' deb packages?

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 06:02:27PM +0800, Vincent W.S. Tam wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We're using Debian 2.2 for most of our systems. We've also tried bunk's
> packages to include some early Woody packages added to our machines to
> allow us to run kernel 2.4.
>
> Now, for some reasons we'd like to build our own packages. (e.g. want to
> use newer version of the software not included in Debian distribution,
> internal written software)

If you need to use newer versions of package "foobar" than the one
included in debian, there are several ways to go:

- If testing (currently=woody) or unstable (=sid) has those packages,
  install them from there. However, these may depend on newer versions
  of libraries than you already have.

- If testing (currently=woody) or unstable (=sid) has those packages,
  "apt-get source" it and create your own .deb. (you may have to install
  other packages to get it to compile; check the Build-depends:). The
  resulting .deb can be installed as any other package (dpkg --install
  foobar*.deb), and shouldn't depend on versions of packages you
  don't have.

- install foobar yourself in /usr/local, and remove the debian-supplied
  foobar. Other packages may depend on foobar though; using the equivs
  package will satisfy the dependencies here.

> Is there a recommended way to build and name these internal packages so
> that they can work peacefully with the 'official' packages? We've
> checked the Debian Policy and seems didn't find this kind of
> information.
>
> Anybody can give us some guidelines? :)

AFAIK there are no differences between official and non-official
packages. As long as a package obeys the relevant policies, it should
basically be OK.

This one is a must-read (although I suspect you have been there before):

    http://www.debian.org/devel

is your friend.

And especially:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide