smail drops off; what to replace it with? exim?

smail keeps dropping off my woody system and I have to continually restart
it.

Rather than deal with the problem I thought I'd just replace it. A newer
woody system seems to have exim. The system with smail has been running
Debian _before_ the first offical release (buzz I think).

Should I switch to exim, or sendmail?

If it matters, I run fetchmail/procmail to get mail from various places. The
mail goes into maildirs which I read with squirrelmail and apache with
courier-imap. I think smail started having problems when I added
procmail/imap to my system.

I've never tried to replace a package that has many packages that require
it. What do I tell apt to get it to remove smail and install its
replacement?

...RickM...