Re: Getting mozilla going...

Mike Fontenot <mlfasf@attbi.com> writes:

> Colin Watson [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk] wrote:
>
> > Sounds like outdated advice to me ... in the early days of Mozilla I
> > think you had to set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME, but you don't need to now.
>
> OK, but is the need to patch up Mozilla with jre.xpi also obsolete?
> Other articles (re: both potato & woody) seem to say Mozilla still
> can't handle java applets as it exists right after installation...
> that some intervention is necessary.

Mozilla uses OJI to interface with a JRE that you must install on your
system (there's no "bundled" JRE like with Netscape 4.x). You can
install the Java jre through a package (which isn't in Debian, AFAIK,
because of licensing problems) or you can install the jre from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/*/linux-xpi/jre.xpi
(I think that's the correct URL). Just clicking on the file should
install it, assuming there aren't any bugs with XPInstall that break the
installation.

If you choose the first option (which is what I do), you should be able
to do so by adding one of the following to your sources.list:

#deb ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/java/debian woody non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/java/debian woody non-free
#deb ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/java-linux/debian woody non-free
#deb
#ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free

I currently use the first one. Then, you should make a symlink (don't
copy!) from the appropriate *.so file to your plugins directory (which,
in current versions can be either in mozilla or .mozilla).

HTH