Compiling for FreeS/WAN

Ok, I've tried compiling my kernel for FreeS/WAN following directions from various sources, but I just don't get it.

As a note: i used kernel-source-2.4.18 and the latest FreeS/WAN source from Woody source list.

I based my actions for compiling on an article I found titled "FreeS/WAN & Debian" by a John Corrigan, which used kernel 2.2.19 and FreeS/WAN 1.96, *(Doc1)* as well as an article titled "Creating Custom Kernels with Debian's Kernel-Packaging System" Revision v.0.3 *(Doc2)*. Maybe this is some way telling.

Anyhow, what I don't get is at what point am I somehow supposed to compile FreeS/WAN into the kernel. According to Doc1 I need to perform the following command in the freeswan directory: make oldgo.

This produces the following output:

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
make[1]: utils/patcher: Command not found
make[1]: *** [_patches2.3] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
make: *** [patches] Error 2

But perhaps I am doing this all wrong anyhow.
HELP!