Re: Installing XFree 4.2 into non standard location - help

Sorry for popping in, but I have made a little observation that I have to share. There
was this message about working with a separate install of Xfree86 4.2.0 that
generated the following reply:

(Original by Bill Triplett <btt@nethouse.com>)

> Hi.. I just did the same thing on a woody box. Here's what I'm doing to
> keep 4.2.0 separate from the distro's version: -- good luck
>
> Copy existing /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 to something like /usr/X11R6-dkpg
> and /etc/X11-dkpg. Just for good measure, I tared and gziped the
> originals too. So now there is /usr/X11R6 and an /usr/X11R6-dkpg (which
> are the same) and an /etc/X11 and /etc/X11-dpkg (which are also the
> same)
>
> Then, 'make install'-ed the new Xfree 4.2.0, so it basically updates the
> /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 with the new X version.
>
> Then, renamed /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 (which are now updated to 4.2.0)
> to /usr/X11R6-420 and /etc/X11-420
>
> Then made symlink: /etc/X11 -> /etc/X11-420, and /usr/X11R6 ->
> /usr/X11R6-420

Basically, DON'T symlink. Why? Because when you configure and make some
libraries like Qt, the configure script will get the real directory name like /usr/X11R6-
420 or whatever instead of the link name. You'll be in link hell when for some reason
you have to move/rename/whatever the /usr/X11R6-420 directory.

What I did was basically (after reinstalling the system for several reasons, including
the one mentioned above) *renaming* /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6-debian and then
installing 4.2.0 to the default /usr/X11R6. The /etc stuff is basically compatible, so I
didn't really bother. Now every time I update/install packages, I rename the X11R6
directory, move the old one in and undo the changes after finishing package
management. It's a bit of a kludge but after facing serious trouble I deem it worth the
hassle.

BTW, I really don't want to push anyone, but are there any rumors about 4.2.0 deb's?

Keep up the good work
Nicos Gollan