Re: SCSI through PCMCIA card

I have an Adaptec APA-1480A cardbus card and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can burn CD's and operate my zip drive with it on Linux and Windows, and scan on Windows (haven't tried to scan on Linux yet).

Adaptect sells two cards, the 1460 and the 1480A. The 1460 is the PCMCIA, and the 1480A is the cardbus card. PCMCIA is the ISA bus in a small form factor while cardbus is PCI in a similar small form factor - thus the 1480A is a much faster card while at the same time loading your laptop less.

There are other SCSI PC cards, but I've only tried the 1480A.

Couldn't get it to work in NT though.  Works fine in 98 and 2000.

If you boot off a floppy, or a small /boot partition on your internal hard drive, you could use an external SCSI drive for your root and other partitions and run Linux off an external drive, much larger than you could fit in a laptop.

Only caveat is that my laptop has Slackware and not Debian, but I don't see why it would be any different, the software you'd use would come from the same source code.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/