Re: Assembly Compiler

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:10:54AM +0100, Marlon Viado wrote:
> Mom,

hi,

>  I'm ICE of the Philippines and i really need the assembly language
>  compiler,can you help me regarding to my problem.  Thanks.

this depnds, in what style what you are used to code in asm.

if you want a cross-plattform macro assembler with intel style notation,
try installing 'nasm'. for converting existing code to GNU assembler,
install and use 'intel2gas'. this is probably what you want, if you have
an ms-doggy-dos background.

if you're new and want to follow the GNUies with it's SYSV/un*x style
notation, 'as' (aka gas) is probably for you. try the standard binutils
package which it's included. it's used a lot under unices.

for assembling 8086 code, install bin86. it's required for e.g.
translate LILO with it's 8086 boot loader code (BIOS 16bit limitations).

every major editor, like vim and emacs) comes hooks and modes for your
codings.

probably there's also a nice IDE included in debian, but i can't
remember the name. anyone?

HTH