Re: Tool to find out info about machine ?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:19:31 -0400
"Shawn McMahon" <smcmahon@eiv.com> wrote:

> Many sysadmins see portscans as an attack.  Some ISPs will delete your
> account for doing that.  In some states folks might even attempt to
> prosecute you.

Actively port scanning another system is against the TOS for many ISPs.  I
don't tend to take to kindly to being scanned (intentional or otherwise).
I'm not aware of a good reason for anyone to be scanning another's machine
without the other's permission.

> Or, the response could be as benign as their end detecting the portscan
> and blocking access from your machine.

I wouldn't hope for such a benign response.

> Know what you're doing before you portscan people.

Very good advice.  However, better yet is to have permission.

--
Jamin W. Collins