problem with Nethack 3.4.0

Hi -

I wasn't sure whether it would be better to send this to nethack.org or
to the Debian list ... anyhoo ...

When I start Nethack in console, the basic movement commands h j k and
l, etc, are being interpreted as the corresponding '#' commands ... e.g.
#h #j #k #l. So that when I try to move using the 'j' command, for
example, the game responds "You can't jump very far," or something
similar.

Just thought I'd send a msg to the list and see whether anyone else had
encountered this. I'm not an experienced player, but like the game a
lot.

Thanks,

Glenn