ethernet problem, driver or hardware

I've only just gotten this system onto the network (after 4 months (that
long?!) of trying). The probem of the past was my borked ethernet card.
It has just been replaced (warranties are good for something), but now I
have a possibly not hardware problem.

Simply stated, after this system is online for a few hours I have
problems. A few different error messages come out, but they all seem to
be related.

Some lines from the logs:

Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transit timed
out
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt?
TSR=0x1, ISR=0x80, t=101.
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: Hw address read/write mismap 1
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: Hw address read/write mismap 2
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: Hw address read/write mismap 3
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: Hw address read/write mismap 4
Apr 27 11:26:10 icosagon kernel: Hw address read/write mismap 5
Apr 27 11:26:14 icosagon kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, cable problem?
TSR=0x1 ISR=0x0 t=322
Apr 27 11:48:13 icosagon kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Apr 27 11:48:14 icosagon kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Apr 27 19:53:45 icosagon kernel: eth0: MII is missing!

It also dropped its interrupts a couple of times, followed immediately
by it reconnecting. So far, three times today I've been hit by a flood
of the first seven lines (and the corresponding hundreds of log
entries). The thing that makes me wonder about the cause, is that these
messages stop after I ping another system.

So right now I am wondering about what I need to fix to stop this. I am
currently using my 2.4.18 kernel with the driver (axnet_cs) compiled as
a module. The hardware side is a Linksys Etherfast PCMPC100v3. The rest
of the network side is a collective of windoze boxen.

Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com