Re: [OT] Asus A7M266 motherboard and Debian

    "Faheem" == Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> writes:

    Faheem> Would you prefer these motherboards to the more recent
    Faheem> ones from the point of view of stability under Linux? I'm
    Faheem> thinking for example of the Asus A7V266 and the A7V333, I
    Faheem> think the former has the KT266A chipset, and the latter
    Faheem> the KT333 chipset, both from VIA? My impression is that
    Faheem> the more recent Athlon motherhoards have more dodgy
    Faheem> support in general (needing to patch kernels etc,) which I
    Faheem> don't want to get into.

I have one of those "more recent" Athlon boards. It's not ASUS, it's a
Soyo Dragon+ with the KT266A chipset. It runs Woody great, with the
stock k7 variant of the 2.4.18 kernel.

No crashes in the last month since I built it, and I run it non-stop
(except for the power failures that our power company has inflicted on
us in recent weeks). It's as solid as I could wish it to be.

There was a problem reported back in January about Athlon processors
and AGP cards (not VIA specific, just Athlon + some AGP cards + some
Linux systems). I have not heard of a documented case of this problem
which could not be fixed with kernel parameters, but there was a lot
of noise about it. I've never been able to find out if it ever got
fixed, or when. Personally, my AGP video card is a cheapo ATI Mach64
that I use to put a lot of pixels on my screen so I can run emacs and
xterm. I don't use 3D, or agpgart. It all works very, very nicely.

I would not run away from those KT266A boards.

Cheers!
Shyamal