Compiling kernel --append_to_version

Here's my running kernel, the last one I built:

$ ls /boot | grep k7
System.map-2.4.17-k7t266
config-2.4.17-k7t266
vmlinuz-2.4.17-k7t266

dpkg -l shows:

ii  kernel-image-2.4.17 custom.1.3          Linux kernel binary image for version 2.4.17-k7t266

So if I want to upgrade that kernel I run

  fakeroot make-kpkg clean
  fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.4 --append_to_version '-k7t266

and I end up with:

  kernel-image-2.4.17-k7t266_custom.1.4_i386.deb

So far so good?

1) It's common that I'm rebuilding to add in a new module that I didn't compile as "m" before.  Is there a way to just build the new module(s) that I need, and install them into /lib/modules/?

2) What I've never understood is how to make sure modules that are not built as part of the kernel, but are stored in /lib/modules/<kernel> get moved to a new modules directory when I dpkg -i <my-new-kernel>.deb.  I've got the nvidia drivers from the nvidia site, and I always need to remember to manually move the video drivers.  Isn't there a way to do this without manually going in and moving the modules?

3) I'm also not clear how to use make-kpkg and dpkg to just replace a current kernel vs. update (e.g. making the current one the backup one).
Although, I find just hand editing lilo.conf is easy enough.

--
Bill Moseley